Monday, May 21, 2012

Film Noir

About this time last year some friends and I submitted an application for a mini grant of $10,000 from the South Carolina Film Commission. Amazingly, I am very proud to say that we were one of the lucky winners! Now a year later, the film is being accepted into numerous film festivals.

This film (Scattered City) was such a joy to work on and to film. After just finishing Hunger Games, I was thrilled to jump onto something that allowed me to be so creative with complete designer control. I truly love that side of film making, I fell in love with it years ago.  Sometimes I still can't believe that I get to design multiple sets and make them look like they've always been there. Then there's also the decision of what tone I want the environment to evoke, and what that character might have in their surroundings. I don't even mind all the researching that goes into it either, because when you find each piece that will complete the set as a whole it's the most fantastic feeling.

My other favorite part of art department is the aging of props and set pieces. Of course everything you buy for a film is going to be brand new, so you have to make the pieces and props look older and more weathered depending on the scene. From spray paint, to sand paper, to baby power, and many other products and tricks; those are just a few of things things I try first when I'm aging and distressing any props.


I particularly loved aging this bucket. I pretty much had free reign with it and since it appears in an alley way in the film I could make it really dingy and old looking.  This is the rest of the alley below, what it ended up looking like.



Fun in the Alley.


Another thing we always have to consider when making a film is labels and brand names. So for a bar scene we did, I had to find something we could use. Luckily my Hunger Games bosses are pretty awesome and they gave me some fake bourbon labels they used in "The Social Network" Here's how it turned out.


I could sit here and talk about this movie all day, and probably many more. I love what I do, and I think I'll always love working in the art department. There's so much that happens even before the movie begins to film, so much preparation, and dedication but it all matters, and it all makes a difference. 
Hope you guys enjoyed my overview of Scattered City.  I'm so incredibly excited about this movie. It's about to come out on DVD so let me know if anyone wants a copy! It was made with a fantastic group of people, and a whole lot of love. It was a truly amazing experience. Here's the newest poster, enjoy!


Stand By and Stay Tuned, There's more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers