Tuesday, May 15, 2012

All the small things

In previous posts I talked about following your dreams and making the choice to make them come true. While I still believe everyone should do that, I think it is also important to focus on the smaller dreams too.


It's all in the little things each day, the small things that make you smile. Sometimes fate steps in, and something wonderful happens during a terribly bad day that makes it all better, but sometimes you have to make those little things happen yourself.


Think to yourself, what makes you smile? Is it receiving flowers, or the smell of cookies (that's a personal fave of mine) watching a new movie, getting a massage, or reading a new book? Those things that personally make us happy don't have to be rare occurances. We have it in our power to make it happen for ourselves.


I feel that we get lost sometimes in the day to day duties, responsibilities, and burdens of life. It's not hard to do. During a particularly rough week though, buy yourself some really colorful gorgeous flowers, or go get a message, get your nails done. For you guys out there, buy the expensive beer you've been eyeing for a while. I'm not saying do these things everyday, or every single week, but remember to do them for yourself often enough to make you smile. YOU are worth it too.


Make a list of the things that make you happy, I think you'll have fun thinking of so many things! Then on a bad day looking at the list will not only make you smile but it will remind you to do something for yourself.


I think everyone should have a list like that, 100 things that make you happy. I'm going to make one too! I'm going to title it: 100 things to make you happy...(genius) So here we go:


100 things that make me happy (remember it doesn't always have to be things)


1. Chocolate... in any form! (can you blame me? Girls you understand haha)
2. Having a family that loves me no matter what and knowing that they will be there for me when I need them. (On days you're feeling grateful and loved, skype your fam!)
3. Buying any book that I want, whenever I want to
4. Being given a compliment, particularly when I’m feeling down
5. Watching my favorite movie
6. Fresh flowers
7. The smell of sunscreen (the smell of summer!)
8. Going out and enjoying a gorgeous day
9. Going swimming
10. Ice skating
11. Curling up with a book during a thunderstorm
12. Roasting marshmallows
13. Realizing that what I thought was so hard years ago, didn’t turn out to be so hard after all.
14. Seeing fireworks
15. Knowing that no matter what, I will figure things out
16. Dressing up.
17. Watching Ellen
18. Cake
19. Finding something I want on sale. ( I think that's a universal one)
20. Curling up with my dog


That's what I have so far. I hope it inspires you guys to make a list of your own. This list is different then my bucket list, but the sense of satisfaction is still the same. Work hard at making the big dreams come true, but work just as hard making the small dreams come true on a day to day basis. You'll be better off if you do. I'm a firm believer in always being happy. (Those of you who know me well, know this to be true!) I believe that nothing good is accomplished if you're miserable, so why not just be happy? We all have our bad days, but don't let them get you completely down. Keep in reserve a healthy amount of optimism and happiness that you can pull out on a bad day. Remember that what you do have is extraordinary, and that you've worked hard for it. If all else fails, keep these words in mind: You is kind. You is smart. You is important.


That's one of my favorite movie lines of last year. (from The Help) So make your lists! Always smile, and always remember that somewhere, at any given moment, something is thinking of you and wondering how you are.


Stand By and Stay Tuned, there's more to come.





2 comments:

  1. Great Post. Need to come up with that list too. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I need a list like this myself! Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries would be on mine, since they are so seasonal they really make me happy when they are in season.

    ReplyDelete

Followers